Parents say school did not inform them of MRSA case
Some parents of students at Wantagh High School say they are angry they were not informed that a high school staff member was diagnosed with MRSA.
It is unclear when the case of MRSA was detected or how quickly the school reacted.
Willie Razeq kept his children home from school on Friday. He says he made the decision when he heard a high school staff member was diagnosed with the contagious bacteria. He tells News 12 that he received the information from his daughter.
"If there is no school, they call us. If it's going to be late, they call us...nothing, I got nothing," says Razeq.
The district spokesperson says a letter was posted to its website and sent to all parents and staff Thursday night. The letter reads in part: "This staff member is not ill and is being treated at home with antibiotics. It is not possible to determine where the staph infection was contracted."
In the letter, it says the school has been disinfected as a precaution, but some parents are still outraged.
"Some people received telephone calls, some people did not receive telephone calls. It's a horrible thing," says Lorraine Johnson, of Wantagh.
Dr. David Hirshwerk, of North Shore Hospital in Manhasset, says MRSA can cause a skin infection. The infection is usually seen as red and swollen.
"Its danger comes in part with not being treated with the right antibiotics, but also if it is not limited to the skin but gets deeper inside the body," says Hirshwerk.
Doctors say hand washing is the best way to avoid spreading or becoming infected with MRSA.