Neighbor helps save woman from house fire

A courageous neighbor helped a woman escape a burning home in Smithtown early Sunday morning.



The fire broke out at around 2 a.m. at the home on Marquette Place.



Neighbor Keith Williams had just returned home from celebrating a friend's birthday. He saw the flames, called 911, hopped over a fence, and learned that there was still someone inside the home. He rushed into the burning home.



"I pretty much tripped over the lady as I was running in to try to find her because it was just black," he recalls. "The smoke was pretty intense."



The woman suffered critical burns and was hospitalized, along with two other residents who are being treated for smoke inhalation.



A firefighter also suffered minor injuries while responding to the blaze.



Fire officials say that the home burned extremely quickly. The home was completely destroyed, leaving only a charred skeleton and a mound of debris in its place.



The siding on the home next door melted from the intensity of the blaze.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."