Storm causes house fire in St. James
A volunteer firefighter received a nasty electric shock while trying to help when a neighbor's home caught fire.
The incident occurred on Sunny Road in Saint James. Fire officials say a tree that had stood more than 50 feet high was struck by lightning during the intense early morning storm Tuesday.
The tree crashed across the street and onto power lines.
Neighbor Greg Pace called 911 and saw another neighbor, Kevin Peterson, drive up to the house. While attempting to enter the home, he was shocked by the doorknob and blown off of the stoop.
Peterson did not have to be treated for any burns. The homeowners also escaped without a scratch. They say they truly believe Peterson saved their lives.
"If it happened in my house, I guarantee they all would have been over in my house to do the same thing," said Peterson.