Church holds 1st Sunday service after fire

A West Babylon church held its first Sunday service after a fire devastated the church.



Members of St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church gathered under a tent outside the church.



The fire started Tuesday night in a room near the alter. Church officials believe a faulty extension cord is to blame.



Some of the Greek Orthodox religious iconography was saved, but about 100 religious icons were destroyed. The building sustained damaged on the inside.



"It felt like I had a death in the family," says congregant Evgenia Koproni. "We're all together. We support each other."



The church thanked Lindenhurst firefighters and the community during the service.



Church officials say between the smoke and water damage, the entire church will have to be gutted and that the renovation will cost close to $1 million.



Church members say they have the will and strength to rebuild. A GoFundMe page has been set up to take donations.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."