Electrical problem eyed as cause of fatal fire

A woman was killed when flames erupted at her Deer Park home early Sunday morning, authorities say.



The fire sparked at the home on Pine Street shortly before 5 a.m. Fire officials say multiple calls from neighbors alerted them to the fire.



Authorities say an elderly woman was pulled from the home, but she was pronounced dead. She has been identified as 81-year-old Eleanor Didea.



Neighbors described Didea as a sweet woman who lived alone.



One firefighter suffered burns to his ears and neck during the fire. He was taken to Southside Hospital and is expected to be OK.



Fire officials say the cause of the blaze was electrical in nature.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."