11 treated in Bay Shore carbon monoxide leak

Authorities say five children were among 11 people who were hospitalized because of a carbon monoxide leak in Bay Shore Sunday morning.



Islip town officials say more than 24 people were evacuated from the Stone Water Gardens apartment complex on Howells Road after several people showed signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.



Bay Shore Fire Chief John Ippolito Jr. says the carbon monoxide readings firefighters took at the scene were well above acceptable levels. He says the problem stemmed from an issue in the basement boiler room that affected the entire building.



The boiler was shut off, and crews responded to the scene to make repairs. The fire marshal later declared the building to be safe for residents.



Authorities say that the 11 people who were hospitalized were all treated and released.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."