Parts of Shinnecock Bay closed to shellfishing due to toxin

Parts of Shinnecock Bay are closed to shellfishing due to alarming levels of a toxin in the water.



The DEC found alarming levels of saxitoxin in shellfish pulled from the bay. The DEC halted all shellfish harvesting from a 4,000-acre area of western Shinnecock Bay in response.



Eating shellfish with high levels of saxitoxin can cause paralysis or even death.



Bayman and Southampton Town Trustee Ed Warner says the warmer water temperatures combined with increased nitrogen pollution fueled red algae blooms that created the toxin.



The toxin levels found in the shellfish are so high that it's thought the ban could last three weeks to a month or possibly even longer.



The DEC says the closure is temporary and that it is monitoring toxin levels in shellfish to determine when they will be safe to eat again.



sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."