Freeport gas station bursts into flames; 3 burned
Three people were severely burned Tuesday morning after a Freeport gas station erupted into a fireball.
The fire broke out at the Gulf Station on Sunrise Highway and North Long Beach Avenue at around 10 a.m. The station had been closed for a month.
According to the Nassau fire marshal, the fire was sparked while a vacuum truck was removing leftover gasoline from one of the station's tanks.
Officials say that while the vacuum truck was removing the gasoline, vapors were being released from a port on the side of the truck. The fire marshal says other workers were using a power tool nearby to remove the gas pumps and that it ignited the vapors.
No criminal charges are expected to be filed since the fire marshal ruled the fire "accidental."
The New York State Department of Labor and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration have sent investigators to the scene to determine who was at fault by allowing the power tool to be used near the gas vapors.
Two workers are in serious condition. The other worker is in critical condition with burns to his head, chest and arms.