Man loses fingers in Elmont explosion

A 62-year-old man lost three fingers in an explosion in Elmont today.



Police say the LJC Dismantling Corporation employee was trying to light a welding torch when a fuel-air explosion occurred.



Officials say the man also sustained injuries to his face and chest. 



The explosion happened at 1349 Star Ave., which is across the street from LJC Dismantling Corporation.


sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."