Firefighters rescue, revive man in Dix Hills fire

Firefighters rescued a man from a burning home in Dix Hills Saturday night.



Authorities say the house on Kenmore Street became engulfed in flames at around 11:30 p.m. Neighbors say they heard a loud boom and screams from the home.



Fire officials say the man was trapped near a first-floor bedroom and was rescued by responders who heard his yells for help. The man, who has not been identified, went into cardiac arrest and was revived by Dix Hills Rescue Squad personnel, officials say.



The man was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital.



One neighbor says two other family members who were inside the burning home rushed to her house without their shoes, wearing only pajamas.



Two firefighters suffered minor injuries at the scene, and officials say a cat and dog were killed in the fire.



Seven fire departments responded to the fire, and it was brought under control in about 40 minutes.



Investigators are looking into what sparked the flames.


sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."