Deadly Roosevelt house fire deemed accidental

Police say a fast-moving fire that killed one person at a Roosevelt home has been deemed accidental.



The flames broke out at a two-story home located on Debevoise Avenue just before 2:30 a.m. Friday. James Hickman, of the Nassau County Fire Marshal's Office, says the fire started in a front bedroom as the result of an electrical malfunction. It then rapidly spread, engulfing the entire house.



A 50-year-old male was found dead inside a second-floor bedroom, officials say.



Two people who were inside the home had to jump from windows to escape the blaze, suffering minor injuries. They were treated and released from the hospital.



Officials say the house served as a residence for at least 11 people, with rooms subdivided into single units for rent. It was demolished Friday afternoon.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."