Electric fireplace goes up in flames

An electric fireplace went up in flames at a Port Washington home Tuesday.



It happened in the bedroom of an elderly couple that police say may have been asleep at the time.



Sands Point police say the couple's grandson was home and called 911 after noticing the smoke.



Officers say they escorted the couple out of the home. One was in a wheelchair, and the other used a walker.



Firefighters put out the flames within minutes. No one was hurt.



Officers say the couple and their grandson are staying with relatives in Port Washington.


sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."