WOODBURY - A Riverhead boy who was severely burned in a gel candle accident may soon get the chance to return close to home after more than a year-and-a-half of recovery.

Michael Hubbard received third-degree burns to more than 40 percent of his body after a gel candle exploded and set him on fire. The burns sent him into cardiac arrest and left him with brain injuries.

Hubbard has been recovering at Blythedale Children’s Hospital in Westchester, but may soon be able to return to Riverhead by the summer if the proposed Brendan House receives the funding necessary to open.

Hubbard’s mother, Nancy Ryer, says her son’s recovery has been slow and steady but it would be great if he could be close to home.