ELMONT - An Elmont woman leapt from her second-story awning tonight to escape flames as they engulfed her Gotham Avenue home.

Officials say the first firefighter on the scene arrived to find a husband outside and his wife still trying to escape the fire. They say the woman jumped safely into the arms of the firefighter.

Fire officials say strong winds took down two power lines surrounding the house, making it difficult for firefighters to extinguish the flames. They say the husband and wife were not injured, but one firefighter was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Investigators have determined that the fire was accidental, the result of an overloaded extension cord plugged into a space heater.