WESTBURY - Firefighters responded to a hazmat situation Wednesday afternoon at the Veterinary Referral & Emergency Center of Westbury facility on Cantiague Rock Road.

Officials tell News 12 that employees started feeling ill from an odor at around 11:30 a.m. and reported the incident.

Officials say about 20 to 25 employees and about 20 animals were evacuated from the building.

According to officials, a mixture of two different household chemicals are believed to be the cause of the noxious fumes. Employees identified the chemicals as a cleaner and a disinfectant.

News 12 has learned one employee was transported to the hospital, but the rest of the employees are OK.

The building has been reopened and the animals were brought back inside.

Employees at the animal hospital say they have had practice evacuating. They were also forced out of the building about a week ago because of carbon monoxide. They say the reason for the previous evacuation was construction inside the building.