ISLIP - The removal of toxic debris that was illegally dumped at multiple sites in Islip is proving to be a more difficult task than originally thought.

As News 12 Long Island reported, Thomas Datre Jr. pleaded guilty in March to illegally dumping contaminated materials at four sites, including Roberto Clemente Park. In exchange for less jail time, he promised the judge he would remove the debris from two sites and help reopen the park.

The park has remained closed for more than two years.

Last month, State Supreme Court Judge Fernando Camacho warned lawyers for Datre Jr. and others involved in the dumping scandal that he "wouldn't wait forever."

In court Tuesday, Judge Camacho said he was aware there are "difficulties and obstacles" and said, "I'm satisfied all parties are working diligently to resolve the issues."

Datre Jr.'s attorney Kevin Kearon said the issues include where to take the contaminated materials once they are extracted.

"These are big projects involving removal of lots of materials, so there's lots of T's to cross and I's to dot," says Kearon.

The attorney told News 12 that he hopes the two sites will be cleaned up by the end of the year, if not by the fall. Datre Jr.'s next court date is Oct. 4.