SHIRLEY - A heartwarming fundraising effort was under way hours after an early morning apartment fire left a Shirley family trying to start over from scratch.

Kuanita Roundtree says that she left for work at 2 a.m. and not long after, received a call to get home quick. She says she returned to find her apartment was consumed by flames.

Roundtree says that she and her daughters lost everything in the fire, but her children's classmates are working hard to help them.

Students from the Charles E. Walters Elementary School and Longwood Middle School collected more than $2,500 and piles of donations for the family in less than an hour.

A local Walmart also donated shoes and clothes to the Roundtree family.

The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.