UNIONDALE - Sources say a tentative deal has been reached tonight to redevelop the Nassau Coliseum, bringing the Islanders one step closer to getting a new home, surrounded by 77 acres of land.
County Executive Ed Mangano (R-Nassau) declined to comment on the Nassau Coliseum project, only saying that he will release all of the information tomorrow.
As News 12 Long Island has reported, last month, Mangano touted the project as a new sports and entertainment hub that would create jobs and spur economic growth. It would cost Nassau taxpayers about $58 a year, which, according to Mangano, would be offset by sharing the arena's profits.
Democrats say before they can support the project, they need the details. They are hoping that tomorrow Mangano will lay out his vision for the property and explain how the county will make money from it.
Legislator Dave Denenberg (D-Merrick) says an arena alone will not bring long-term jobs to the county. He says the property should be mixed-use, possibly with office space and affordable housing.
Taxpayers are expected to vote on the project Aug. 1.Legislators to let residents vote on fate of Nassau Coliseum