MERRICK - Members of St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church came together today after a fire destroyed the building on Friday night.

Hundreds gathered in the church parking lot this morning for Mass, which was celebrated under a large tent.

Fire officials believe the blaze started when a candle was left burning after Friday night’s service.

Church officials say the fire will not prevent them from holding services, even if they are in the parking lot. Houses of worship of other denominations have offered their space for future services.

A fund has been created to help the church repair the damage.