WANTAGH - Lawmakers are warning of a hidden danger this summer when they strike up the grill.

Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) says there has been an increasing number of reports of people ingesting bristles from metal brushes that are used to clean barbecues.

He says that bristles from poorly made or old brushes can get dislodged, stick to the grill and then attach themselves to food.

?While certainly this is not the greatest health danger confronting us today, the results of ingesting one of these bristles can be harmful,? Schumer says.

Experts recommend examining metal brushes and the grill surface for loose metal bristles beforehand. Pumice stone cleaners, scrubbing pads and cleaning chemicals are all good alternatives to metal brushes.