FREEPORT - More than 100 Superstorm Sandy victims still waiting for federal grant money to rebuild their homes demanded answers from NY Rising officials Monday night at an open forum meeting in Freeport.
Some Long Island residents, including Ed Peterson, of Oceanside, have received reimbursements far short of what they were promised in their award letters.
“I'm out of pocket for over $100,000. They estimated for $77,000. They mailed me a check for $15,000,” said Peterson. “They can keep the $15,000. That's spitting in my face.”
NY Rising's director Jon Kaiman announced some measures of relief during the standing-room only meeting. He said NY Rising will help pay for victim's mortgage or rent for up to 20 months beginning in February.
Kaiman said NY Rising is also developing a property acquisition program to pay the pre-Sandy value of homes that were destroyed.
He says NY Rising has already doled out $105 million so far. Kaiman said the next round of checks worth $100 million will go out in the next few weeks.