Report: DEC deems plan to move debris unacceptable

A plan to move tons of contaminated fill from a vacant Central Islip lot to a sand pit in Melville is not sitting well with

The plan devised by vacant lot owner L-C Real Estate was the result of an agreement with the state Department on Environmental Conservation requiring the company to remove the fill or face a $500,000 fine.

The plan devised by vacant lot owner L-C Real Estate was the result of an agreement with the state Department on Environmental Conservation requiring the company to remove the fill or face a $500,000 fine. (9/11/15)

CENTRAL ISLIP - A plan to move tons of contaminated fill from a vacant Central Islip lot to a sand pit in Melville is not sitting well with residents.

The plan devised by vacant lot owner L-C Real Estate was the result of an agreement with the state Department on Environmental Conservation requiring the company to remove the fill or face a $500,000 fine.

According to an article in Newsday, the DEC calls the plan unacceptable and insists the 35,000 cubic yards of contaminated debris be moved off Long Island. It says the debris threatens Long Island's ground water.

Maureen Dolan Murphy, of the Citizens Campaign for the Environment, says the debris contains heavy metals, hydrocarbons and pesticides.

"We don't want this getting into our drinking water. The best, safest solution is to dispose of this material off the Island at a regulated facility," Murphy told News 12.

The Central Islip site is one of four in the Town Of Islip under investigation by the Suffolk County district attorney. The probe includes Roberto Clemente Park in Brentwood where 50,000 tons of contaminated debris had been dumped, a housing development for veterans in Islandia and state protected wetlands site in Deer Park.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Top 5 Must See

Long Island can expect powerful winds and heavy 1 Nor'easter expected to bring strong winds, heavy rain
Cycle for Survival is the movement to beat 2 Cycle for Survival: Fighting rare cancers
The high winds expected with the nor'easter could 3 South Shore communities prep for nor'easter
The head of the Nassau chapter of Planned 4 LI Planned Parenthood chief voices concerns on administation
A teenager was attacked in a park Sunday 5 Police: Teen attacked at Huntington Station park

advertisement | advertise on News 12

More News

Three members of the Datre family and one Business tied to dumping scandal faces new charges

Hundreds of new charges have been brought against a family already embroiled in the toxic

Crews have carted away 2,500 tons of hazardous Veterans sue over alleged dumping in Islandia

The lawsuit claims that Thomas Datre Jr. and his father, Thomas Datre Sr., dumped thousands

Investigators have arrested six people in the Veterans Report: High levels of toxins found at vets' housing

Earlier tests on soil at the complex built for veterans showed chemical levels were below

According to Newsday, Thomas Datre Jr., his father Report: 3 accused in toxic dumping scandal get plea deals

According to Newsday, Thomas Datre Jr., his father Thomas Datre Sr. and Christopher Grabe of

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE