HEMPSTEAD - A fire caused power outages and forced dozens of people out of their homes in Hempstead on Sunday morning.

Officials say the fire started around 6:30 a.m. when a fuse panel caught fire on the second floor of an apartment building.

They say half of the nine-story building lost power and elevator service stopped working as a result of the fire. Power and elevator service has since been restored.

News 12 was told that many elderly and disabled residents live in the building.

The Red Cross is assisting residents who were displaced.