Poll: New teacher evaluation system getting high marks

A new poll shows that the proposed reforms for the state's teacher evaluation system are getting good grades from New Yorkers. A few weeks ago,

WOODBURY - A new poll shows that the proposed reforms for the state's teacher evaluation system are getting good grades from New Yorkers. A few weeks ago, the state's Education Department and school union officials compromised on the evaluation system. Under the deal, 60 percent of a teacher's evaluation would be based on traditional observation; the other 40 percent would depend on how their students perform.A new Sienna poll shows that half of New Yorkers think the system will improve public education in the state. Just 3 percent of New Yorkers polled think it would hurt public education.The compromise will also help secure hundreds of millions of dollars in federal education funds. Local school districts still must customize the plan to fit their own needs. Districts that can complete this within a year will qualify for additional state aid, education officials say.Cuomo: NY, teachers' union agree on new evaluation planDeadline looms for teachers, state to agree on new evaluationsCuomo to schools: New teacher evaluations or no more aid

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Top 5 Must See

Police say three people were taken to the 1 Police: Multivehicle crash shuts down westbound LIE
Charles Bottitta, who lives on Hawkins Road, says 2 Brookhaven Highway Dept. accused of targeted harassment
The Homeland Security Department released memos outlining plans 3 DACA program in-tact while LI schools struggle for funds
Long Islanders are showing love for Makenzie Cadmus, 4 'Butterfly baby' Makenzie Cadmus turns 1
On Monday, there were 11 phoned-in bomb threats 5 FBI probes threats targeting Jewish Community Centers

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Each week, News 12's Doug Geed explores the Check out fun things to do on the East End!

Explore the Twin Forks with News 12's Doug Geed.

Each week a different shelter visits News 12 Dog Day Fridays Series

Each week a different shelter visits News 12 Long Island with pets up for adoption.

News 12 digs deep to find Long Island's Discover Long Island's Hidden Past

News 12's Danielle Campbell digs into Long Island's roots.

News 12's Lily Stolzberg sees how much Long On The Spot

News 12's Lily Stolzberg sees how much Long Islanders know about everything and anything.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE