FREEPORT - Officials say nearly three dozen people were rushed to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning in Freeport this morning.

According to first responders, they arrived at Lamar Plastics on North Main Street and measured 500 parts per million of the odorless gas.

Firefighters say 35 people were evacuated from the factory after some became very ill. They say some even passed out from the toxic exposure.

After a preliminary investigation, fire officials say a heating unit that malfunctioned was likely to blame.