PATCHOGUE - A fire at an East Patchogue home killed two trapped residents Thursday.

Alfred, 88, and Angeline Romeo, 85, had lived at the home for more than 50 years. They were married for almost 65.

But flames broke out on Swezey Street around 12:30 p.m. Friends say it would have been impossible for Alfred, who was legally blind, and Angeline, who used a wheelchair, to escape.

Neighbors like Moses Hernandez say they heard the victims screaming as the fire raged, but the intense heat made it impossible to help. Detective Lt. Kevin Beyrer, of the Suffolk County Police Homicide Squad, says it was also too late for first responders to get in and save the victims.

Firefighters discovered the bodies of the victims on the first floor of the home after extinguishing the blaze. 

The Romeos' family says the couple had planned to move to Pennsylvania to live with a daughter.