Petition calls for reopening of Roberto Clemente Park

A lifelong resident of Brentwood started an online petition that calls for officials to reopen Roberto Clemente Park as soon as possible. The park has

The park has been closed since April 2014.

The park has been closed since April 2014. (8/26/16)

ISLIP - A lifelong resident of Brentwood started an online petition that calls for officials to reopen Roberto Clemente Park as soon as possible.

The park has been closed since April 2014.  As News 12 has reported, Thomas Datre Jr. pleaded guilty in March to illegally dumping contaminated materials at four sites, including Roberto Clemente Park. In exchange for less jail time, he promised the judge he would remove the debris from two sites and help reopen the park.

Last month, State Supreme Court Judge Fernando Camacho warned lawyers for Datre Jr. and others involved in the dumping scandal that he "wouldn't wait forever."

Herbie Medina, who started the petition, says the active cleanup at the site is anything but active.

"I drive past this park daily and I see no activity, no action, no trucks in and out," Medina told News 12 Long Island. "It gives the community no hope that the park will ever open."

The petition has garnered almost 700 signatures.

Islip Supervisor Angie Carpenter says more work has to be performed inside the park before it can reopen. She says the site is being excavated and is "certainly not safe."  

Carpenter says a contractor is being selected to begin replacing the contaminated soil that was removed. She hopes the park will be opened by the summer of 2017.

 

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Top 5 Must See

1 Long Island Sportscast, Dec. 9
Police say an Uber driver was attacked after 2 Uber driver attacked in Bethpage over Thanksgiving weekend
Although he won't take office for a few 3 Suozzi urges fellow Democrats to 'find religion'
Suffolk police say a body was found behind 4 Police: Body found behind auto parts store
Immigrant advocates are calling for law enforcement agencies 5 Immigrant advocates ask officials not to work with ICE

advertisement | advertise on News 12

More News

Thomas Datre Jr. pleaded guilty to four felony Plea deal reached in Islip illegal dumping trial

A plea deal has been reached in week six of the Islip illegal dumping trial.

In March, Thomas Datre Jr. pleaded guilty to Cleanup to begin at Central Islip toxic dumping site

In March, Thomas Datre Jr. pleaded guilty to dumping construction debris filled with toxic chemicals

The owner of Atlas Asphalt, Ronald Cianciulli, was Man found guilty for role in toxic dumping case

The man accused of helping a friend find places to dump toxic debris in Suffolk

The park has been shut down for more DEC gives green light to rebuild Roberto Clemente Park

Town and state officials say they have been given the green light by the Department

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE