SYOSSET - As the blizzard of 2010 moves off shore and Long Islanders begin to dig out, residents are being made aware of some shoveling safety precautions.

Many residents say they started shoveling their driveways just to get out of the house. With so much snow, some say they were thankful to have snow blowers, rather than shovels.

However, shoveling-out can also be a dangerous task. Police say a man in Mineola severed two of his fingers this morning when he stuck his hand in a snow blower.

Click "NEXT" below your video player for more on shoveling safety precautions

Following the incident, officials are warning residents to be safe while operating snow blowers and to be sure to lift from the legs, stay hydrated and take plenty of breaks while shoveling.