MASSAPEQUA - Many Long Islanders bought generators after Sandy struck, some with tragic results. There have been nine storm-related deaths on Long Island so far. The latest was an Oceanside woman who died from carbon monoxide poisoning from her generator, which police say was in her garage. While thousands of Long Islanders bought generators over the past two weeks, many don't know how to use them. Officials say residents must keep generators at least 10 feet from homes and should make sure the exhaust fumes are pointed away from windows. Also, residents should ensure that carbon monoxide detectors are functional.