SHIRLEY - Investigators say a driver making a propane delivery in Shirley this past weekend opened the wrong valve, causing the propane tank to blow a plastic cap.

"The truck driver loosened a valve that he shouldn't have and that valve created quite a commotion when he filled the tank. It blew a plastic cap. He ran away because he got scared, and that caused the leak," says Brookhaven Town Supervisor Mark Lesko.

The propane leak caused the evacuation of about 2,000 people from their homes and businesses when thousands of gallons of toxic flammable gas filled the air behind Kohl's on Montauk Highway.

Residents thankful to be home after gas leak in Shirley

Officials: Shirley gas leak repaired; evacuees sent home