Official: Miraculous no one died in Port Washington blaze on Herbert Avenue
PORT WASHINGTON - Officials say it is a miracle no one was seriously injured or died in a large building fire that broke out Thursday afternoon on Herbert Avenue near Main Street in Port Washington.
Nearly a dozen departments responded to the scene, and authorities say windy conditions made it very difficult to contain the fire.
LIPA performed a grid shutdown to turn off the power for several blocks because firefighters were working on ladders near power lines.
READ MORE: Long Island Top Stories
The fire marshal is investigating reports that workers were using a propane blowtorch on the roof of the building before the fire started.
Officials say one firefighter broke his foot, a utility worker was hit by falling slate and someone from the fire marshal’s office was hospitalized with an unknown injury.
The Red Cross tells News 12 that 36 people are now homeless.