ELMONT - Firefighters say if it weren't for a quick-thinking Good Samaritan, the outcome of a fast-moving fire in Elmont last night would have been much worse.

Lisa Johnston, an off-duty EMT, was driving down Gotham Avenue when she says she saw smoke and flames coming from the back of a house.

Johnston saw a woman crouching on an awning and urged her to jump, promising her that she will be rescued. The woman made the leap, and her husband and Johnston caught her. The couple's two children weren't home at the time.

Minutes later, the home was fully engulfed in flames. Fire officials say the strong wind and some downed power lines made it difficult to battle the blaze.

The woman who escaped through the second-floor window and a firefighter were taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Investigators say an overloaded extension cord plugged into a space heater sparked the fire.