Obama calls for cap to standardized tests

President Barack Obama wants students to spend no more than 2 percent of classroom time on standardized exams, but a Long Island advocate says that

President Barack Obama wants students to spend no more than 2 percent of classroom time on standardized exams, but a Long Island advocate says that doesn't address the other 98 percent of time students spend in the classroom.

President Barack Obama wants students to spend no more than 2 percent of classroom time on standardized exams, but a Long Island advocate says that doesn't address the other 98 percent of time students spend in the classroom. (10/25/15)

WOODBURY - President Barack Obama wants to limit the amount of time students across the nation spend taking some standardized tests.

He wants students to spend no more than 2 percent of classroom time on standardized exams. "Learning is about so much more than just filling in the right bubble," says Obama. 

Obama says schools must meet three basic principles: tests should be high quality, they shouldn't take up too much classroom time and they shouldn't be the only measure of a student's growth.

Parent advocate Jeanette Deutermann, of the group LI Opt Out, says while the change may help other students, New York state already has a 2 percent cap. 

"I can already protect my child from the 2 percent of testing," says Deutermann. "What we need is help on the other 98 percent." According to Deutermann, that 98 percent is spent preparing students for exams.

Other parents say they worry that the "robotic" way of learning is taking the fun out of school for children.

Obama plans to meet with teachers and school officials on Monday.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Top 5 Must See

Police say the victim sustained multiple lacerations and 1 Police release sketch of man found dead in Massapequa Preserve
The van was a welcome addition to the 2 Nassau firefighters group donates van for disabled vets
Two Long Island residents with differing views on 3 LI residents offer different takes on GOP health bill failure
Police are searching for the driver involved in 4 Brentwood man killed in hit-and-run crash
When the new Nassau Coliseum opens its doors 5 New Coliseum to pay tribute to military, 9/11 victims

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Each week, News 12's Doug Geed explores the Check out fun things to do on the East End!

Explore the Twin Forks with News 12's Doug Geed.

Each week a different shelter visits News 12 Dog Day Fridays Series

Each week a different shelter visits News 12 Long Island with pets up for adoption.

News 12 digs deep to find Long Island's Discover Long Island's Hidden Past

News 12's Danielle Campbell digs into Long Island's roots.

News 12's Lily Stolzberg sees how much Long On The Spot

News 12's Lily Stolzberg sees how much Long Islanders know about everything and anything.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE