LONG BEACH - With the summer season just around the corner, the City of Long Beach released a Public Service Announcement teaching kids about the dangers of swimming when no lifeguards are on duty, but it appears the video will be without its intended audience.
Officials wanted to distribute the PSA to all of New York City's schools, but they have been told by educators that they have no plans to utilize the video.
"I think that that's really very, very, very unfortunate because as we've said, if this film only saves one life, it would be worth the effort," says Long Beach City Manager Charles Theofan.
As News 12 Long Island has reported, last year there were two deaths and several near-drownings that happened in Long Beach during the off-season when no lifeguards were on duty.
Theofan says this year, lifeguards will start working a week earlier on June 18.
For a news conference in Long Beach about preventing drownings, go to your digital cable box and select iO Extra on Ch. 612.
Long Beach Drowning Public Service Announcement