BROOKVILLE - Hospital officials have confirmed that nearly two dozen C.W. Post students were taken to the hospital overnight with a contagious gastrointestinal virus. According to officials, 18 students were taken to area hospitals, some of whom were treated and released.
In a statement, C.W. Post officials say that over the last 24 hours, they've received reports of approximately 20 students showing symptoms of diarrhea and vomiting. The campus says there doesn't appear to be any common dining experience related to this, so food poisoning is unlikely.
Campus administrators say they've been keeping in close contact with the Nassau County Health Department and local hospitals.
"Their impression at this point is that we're dealing with a stomach virus of some kind or another," says Bill Milford, director of the Student Health Center at C.W. Post.
Health officials say the virus has an incubation period of one to four days.
School officials are asking any medically related calls to be referred to 516-299-2020.