ELMONT - The Nassau County Police Department's 5th Precinct reopened Monday, nearly two years after it was closed as part of a controversial merger plan to save the county money.

The Elmont precinct had been a "community policing center" since 2012, when County Executive Ed Mangano authorized the county's precinct consolidation plan. Since then, arrests and arrest reports were not processed at the location.

At the time, Mangano's administration said the precinct consolidation would save the county $20 million each year without affecting public safety. But the decision has been met with strong opposition over the past two years, including from the Nassau PBA.

Today, officials said the Elmont precinct is being restored with no additional costs. "We'll be shifting around some administrative positions to achieve this," said acting Police Commissioner Thomas Krumpter.

Residents who spoke with News 12 said they're happy to have their local precinct back. "Now they're here faster, you see the patrol cars more often," said Elmont resident Chris Furlong. "All the little things add up and make a difference, and we're glad to have them back."

Officials say there are currently no plans to reopen the county's 6th and 8th precincts.