Mother of boy burned by gel candle pushes for change

The mother of a 14-year-old Riverhead boy who is in a coma after suffering burns from a gel candle held a news conference today, vowing

STONY BROOK - The mother of a 14-year-old Riverhead boy who is in a coma after suffering burns from a gel candle held a news conference today, vowing to prevent similar incidents from happening again.

Michael Hubbard suffered third-degree burns over 40 percent of his body after the gel candle exploded when his cousin tried to add more fuel to it over the Memorial Day weekend.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says there have been eight similar incidents in the past year.

The candle used in the incident has since been taken off the shelves at Bed Bath and Beyond nationwide.

Mom: Gel candle severely burned son at barbecue

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Top 5 Must See

Police say James Burke, 76, veered off the 1 Police: Medical event led to fatal crash in Huntington Station
Empire State Development Corp. canceled its 4-year-old request 2 Plans for Belmont Park soccer stadium nixed by state
Angela Conte-Gentille says she remembers growing up in 3 Facebook post fuels push for East Meadow Ave. decorations
The Freedom Chapel and the Teen Challenge Outreach 4 Kids in need get toys, joy at Amityville event
A new report from an environmental research group 5 Report: Rising sea levels could threaten thousands of LI homes

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Need help this holiday season? We've got you Holiday Help Series

Need a gift idea? Perhaps you need a fun idea to do with the kids?

Each week a different shelter visits News 12 Dog Day Fridays Series

Each week a different shelter visits News 12 Long Island with pets up for adoption.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE