BLUE POINT - A mother is pushing for a sign at Corey Beach to warn parents that playground equipment can get too hot.

Deborah Gutheil was with her daughter Olivia at Corey Beach last month when the child sat down on the plastic slide and screamed. Her daughter slid down the slide not knowing what to do and burned her buttocks.

Olivia's mother took her daughter to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital, where ER doctors say she suffered from second-degree burns.

Gutheil is now pushing for a sign warning parents to check how hot the plastic playground equipment gets.

The town of Brookhaven says it is aware of the incident but has no official accident report from the family.

A spokesman tells News 12 Long Island the town will be conducting an internal investigation to see whether a warning sign is warranted.