Mom: Gel candle severely burned son at barbecue

A Long Island mother says a weekend barbecue turned horribly wrong when a gel candle exploded and severely burned her 14-year-old son. Nancy Reyer says

RIVERHEAD - A Long Island mother says a weekend barbecue turned horribly wrong when a gel candle exploded and severely burned her 14-year-old son.

Nancy Reyer says her son, Michael Hubbard, is now in critical condition at Stony Brook Children's Hospital battling third-degree burns on over 40 percent of his body after the candle exploded last Saturday.

Michael isn't the first person to suffer burns from a gel candle. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, there have been multiple recalls of gel candles dating back to the late 1990s because the candles flare up and cause injury.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Top 5 Must See

Suffolk police say a body was found behind 1 Police: Body found behind auto parts store
Immigrant advocates are calling for law enforcement agencies 2 Immigrant advocates ask officials not to work with ICE
Photography students at Lynbrook High School are refinishing 3 Students refinish old photos submitted by the community
The school district says the candy made the 4 Sachem SD: 6 students hospitalized after eating potentially laced candy
Robert Crumb, 44, pleaded not guilty to second-degree 5 Man pleads not guilty to stabbing wife to death in Bethpage

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Need help this holiday season? We've got you Holiday Help Series

Need a gift idea? Perhaps you need a fun idea to do with the kids?

Each week a different shelter visits News 12 Dog Day Fridays Series

Each week a different shelter visits News 12 Long Island with pets up for adoption.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE