HICKSVILLE - Officials say the 89-year-old man who accidentally lit himself on fire inside a Hicksville church has died.

The victim, identified as Vito Badalamente, of Hicksville, succumbed to his injuries last night in the Nassau University Medical Center Burn Unit, police say.

Investigators say Badalamente was lighting a candle inside the Holy Family Roman Catholic Church before the 7 a.m. Mass Thursday when his clothes caught fire.

By the time two priests came to his rescue with a fire extinguisher, Badalamente sustained third-degree burns to 60 percent of his body.