ELMONT - Police are investigating a fatal fire that occurred in Elmont last night.

According to detectives, fire officials responded to the house fire just after 6 p.m. and found a 33-year-old man dead in the bathroom.

Officials say there were no other occupants in the home at the time of the fire. Fire officials say the victim is the son of the first-floor tenants.

According to investigators, the fire appears to have started in the kitchen and is accidental.

Neighbors at the scene tell News 12 that they tried repeatedly to call 911, but received a recording that said their call would be answered in the order it was received. Another neighbor claimed they dialed for 10 to 15 minutes before anyone answered.

Fire officials say they are unaware of any problems with the system and arrived at the scene approximately three minutes after the call came in.

The identity of the victim is being withheld pending family notification.