PATCHOGUE - A Patchogue man was saved by his friends last night after his clothes caught on fire.

Police responded to a call of a fire on Waverly Avenue around 11 p.m.

News 12 Long Island has learned that the man was apparently smoking before going to bed inside his home. The man then fell asleep and his body caught fire.

The man's friend tells News 12 Long Island's Erin Colton that he got buckets of water and a blanket to smother the flames. The home did not catch fire during the incident.

The man, who was identified by a friend as George West, suffered third-degree burns on 50 percent of his body. West is recovering at the hospital.