ORANGE COUNTY, N.Y. - It was an emotional day in an upstate courtroom today as the alleged drunken driver accused of killing a Long Island couple in a hit-and-run was offered a plea deal by prosecutors.
Prosecutors say Luis Munoz was driving drunk on the New York State Thruway back in June while he was arguing with his girlfriend on a cellphone. He slammed into a motorcycle that carried Melissa Rupa and Rafaelito DeJesus, killing both of them, and then allegedly left the scene.
Munoz appeared in court today and was offered a deal that would put him behind bars for six to 18 years. The outraged family of Melissa Rupa says that is not nearly enough.
"Nothing would ever be justice for her," said Cathy Donlon, Rupa's grieving mother. "We miss her. Our family is broken."
Munoz is due back in court on Thursday. Prosecutors say he's from Ecuador, had previously been deported and is in the U.S. illegally. He's facing a separate charge for his illegal status.