Lawmaker calls for code changes after fatal carbon monoxide leak at Legal Sea Foods in Walt Whitman Mall

Fire officials say a faulty flue pipe leading from a water heater caused a buildup of carbon monoxide in the basement of the popular restaurant

 Fire officials say a faulty flue pipe leading from a water heater caused a buildup of carbon monoxide in the basement of the popular restaurant Saturday.

Fire officials say a faulty flue pipe leading from a water heater caused a buildup of carbon monoxide in the basement of the popular restaurant Saturday. (2/24/14)

HUNTINGTON STATION - A Suffolk lawmaker is calling for swift changes to code laws that regulate carbon monoxide detection in public places following the deadly leak at a restaurant in the Walt Whitman Mall.

Legal Sea Foods restaurant manager Steven Nelson was killed and 27 others were sickened in the carbon monoxide leak on Saturday. Investigators say a faulty flue pipe in the restaurant's heating system was to blame. The heating system had passed its inspection last year, and was due to be inspected again in March.

Authorities say the restaurant did not have, and was not required to have, carbon monoxide detectors. Commercial building codes require smoke detectors, but carbon monoxide detectors are not always mandated.

Suffolk Legislator John Kennedy says he was stunned to learn that businesses aren't always required to have the detectors. He says he's preparing legislation to require all commercial buildings and county-owned facilities to install carbon monoxide detectors.

The costs of such detection systems could present a problem, as installation fees could cost thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars. Still, Kennedy says it's a worthwhile investment. "What is the value of a life?" the lawmaker said.

Legal Sea Foods' CEO has said he plans to have the detectors installed in his restaurants.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Top 5 Must See

Islip Town officials updated residents on the future 1 Town gives update on Roberto Clemente Park reopening
An informational meeting will be open to the 2 Meeting to be held on Heartland Town Square project
A Lynbrook village police officer suffered broken bones 3 Lynbrook officer hurt responding to bank call; 2 arrested
According to police, the teens had just left 4 Police: 2 teens robbed walking from school in Freeport
The Patchogue-Medford School District has set up an 5 LI school district asks for homework opinions

advertisement | advertise on News 12

More News

Legal Sea Foods general manager Steven Nelson, of Customers remember Legal Seafoods manager

Customers are remembering the Legal Sea Foods restaurant manager who was killed by a carbon

Legal Seafoods was among the three restaurants evacuated Faulty pipe cause of deadly CO leak

Huntington fire officials are blaming a faulty pipe for the carbon monoxide leak that killed

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE