Judge grants injunction to halt work at Ritz-Carlton in North Hills

Environmentalists say they are upset that developers have denuded 10 acres of the 26-acre luxury condo complex of trees and brush. (1/9/14)

NORTH HILLS - A judge has granted an injunction to halt work on the Ritz-Carlton condo complex in North Hills.

Environmentalists say they are upset that developers have stripped 10 acres of trees and brush just south of the Long Island Expressway off New Hyde Park Road. The area is now being developed with the permission of the village of North Hills into luxury condos and two office buildings.

Environmentalists say they're fuming because immediately after the village approved the project, bulldozers came in and knocked down acres and acres of prime woodland during the New Year’s holiday.

READ MORE: Environment Stories

Environmentalist Richard Brummell has challenged the Ritz-Carlton and village, saying they were obligated to update their environmental reviews under state laws and that they haven't done that.

Brummel claims that RXR and X-Cell developers last conducted an environmental review in 2005. He says since then, a number of rare animal and plant species on the state's "Special Concern Registry" made the former forest their home.

A hearing on the subject will be held at the Supreme Court in Mineola on Monday.

News 12 tried to reach out to the North Hills village mayor, but he said he could not talk because it is currently pending litigation.
 

advertisement | advertise on News 12

advertisement | advertise on News 12