JERICHO - A Jericho mother is fighting to save overdose victims.
Joni Kovacs' son, Steven, accidentally overdosed on prescription drugs and died. She says the people who were with Steven did nothing to help. Now, Kovacs is pushing for a law to make sure others who overdose can get the lifesaving help they need.
Steven's Law would create civil penalties for parents or homeowners who do nothing when someone on their property is in dire need of medical help.
The bill is on track for a possible vote in the state Senate after passing in the Judiciary Committee Tuesday. It must pass before the session ends on June 20 in order to become law.