YAPHANK - Officials say a heating system malfunction may be to blame for a fire that destroyed a Yaphank church.

The flames ripped through the roof and the windows at the Yaphank Presbyterian Church on Main Street around 2 a.m. yesterday.

Congregation members were overcome by grief when they saw the devastation to the 160-year-old church in which they were baptized or married.

Officials initially thought it might be arson because of graffiti on the building.

However, the pastor says a fairly new heating system started the fire.