Gas odor prompts evacuation of Newfield High School in Selden

The students returned to class after officials determined a gas stove was the cause.

The students returned to class after officials determined a gas stove was the cause. (5/7/13)

SELDEN - Police say Newfield High School in Selden was evacuated after a strong odor of gas was reported.

School officials say a gas stove in the family and consumer science room malfunctioned.

Selden officials gave the all clear for students and teachers to go back to class just before 7:30 a.m.
 

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Top 5 Must See

The Tunnel to Towers Foundation announced that it 1 Foundation offers to pay fallen firefighter's mortgage
Suffolk fire officials say a house was gutted 2 House gutted by overnight fire in Oakdale
The owner of a Huntington church and food 3 Huntington food pantry owner says he is being targeted by neighbors, town
Residents tell News 12 they are upset and 4 Huntington residents concerned over new cell phone towers
Developers want to build more than 150 new 5 Plans to expand Bayport senior apartment complex faces opposition

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Each week, News 12's Doug Geed explores the Check out fun things to do on the East End!

Explore the Twin Forks with News 12's Doug Geed.

Each week a different shelter visits News 12 Dog Day Fridays Series

Each week a different shelter visits News 12 Long Island with pets up for adoption.

News 12 digs deep to find Long Island's Discover Long Island's Hidden Past

News 12's Danielle Campbell digs into Long Island's roots.

News 12's Lily Stolzberg sees how much Long On The Spot

News 12's Lily Stolzberg sees how much Long Islanders know about everything and anything.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE