Funerals held for young bomb victim, slain officer

A private funeral Mass was held in the morning for young Martin Richard, followed by his burial, a family statement said. Only immediate family members

Martin Richard, 8, and officer Sean Collier were laid to rest today.

Martin Richard, 8, and officer Sean Collier were laid to rest today. (4/23/13)

BOSTON (AP) - Funerals were held Tuesday for the 8-year-old boy killed in the Boston Marathon bombing and the college police officer authorities say was shot by the suspects.

A private funeral Mass was held in the morning for young Martin Richard, followed by his burial, a family statement said. Only immediate family members attended. A funeral was also held for Massachusetts Institute of Technology Police Officer Sean Collier, fatally shot three days after the bombing.

"The outpouring of love and support over the last week has been tremendous," the Richards' statement said. "This has been the most difficult week of our lives and we appreciate that our friends and family have given us space to grieve and heal."

The family, from Boston's Dorchester neighborhood, said it would hold a public memorial service in the coming weeks to celebrate Martin's life.

The boy was among three people killed when two bombs exploded at the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 15. His mother and 6-year-old sister were among the more than 260 others wounded.

Krystle Campbell, 29, of Medford, and Lu Lingzi, a 23-year-old Boston University graduate student from China, also died in the attack. On Monday, Campbell's funeral was at St. Joseph Church in Medford, Mass., and a memorial for Lu took place on Boston University's campus hours later.

On Wednesday, MIT will hold a memorial service for Collier. Vice President Joe Biden is scheduled to attend.

MIT students and thousands of law enforcement officers also are expected to attend, but the university says the event isn't open to the public.

More on this topic

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Top 5 Must See

Police say they have arrested Jonnathan Santos, 20, 1 Police: Man arrested following fatal crash in LIE in Syosset
According to police, the car crashed into a 2 Police respond to car into building in North Bellmore
The homeowner tells News 12 she called PSEG 3 Homeowner claims debris removal too costly after PSEG trimmed trees
The town says it is presenting a plan 4 Riverhead eyes plan to keep truck traffic off local road
Police released a picture yesterday of a suspect 5 Nassau steps up patrols at 7-Eleven stores after ATM skimming scams

advertisement | advertise on News 12

More News

Officials say the 19 year old suspected terrorist Moment of silence held for marathon victims

Churches across the city sounded the bells following a minute of silence at 2:50 p.m.,

Newly released video shows standoff between police and Video shows bombing suspect standoff

Massachusetts authorities have released new video of the standoff between police and Suspect No. 2

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE