PORT WASHINGTON - An electric fireplace went up in flames at a Port Washington home Tuesday.

It happened in the bedroom of an elderly couple that police say may have been asleep at the time.

Sands Point police say the couple's grandson was home and called 911 after noticing the smoke.

Officers say they escorted the couple out of the home. One was in a wheelchair, and the other used a walker.

Firefighters put out the flames within minutes. No one was hurt.

Officers say the couple and their grandson are staying with relatives in Port Washington.